1. Appalachian Mountains:
Spanning nearly 2,000 miles from Newfoundland, Canada, to Alabama, in the US, the Appalachian Mountains – or the eastern Rockies to the west – form a natural barrier between the coastal plain of North America and its inland lowlands. Divided into three northern, central and southern physiographic regions, they cover a number of areas.
Made up of metamorphic rock created by catastrophic eruptions, intense heat and pressing pressure during the Precambrian period 1.1 billion and 540 million years ago, the Appalachians formed some of the oldest mountains on the planet. Rising during the earthquakes at the end of the Paleozoic Era (about 250 million years ago), they arose when unimaginable proportions of subterranean rocks collapsed in the interior, which were then buried, bent, ripped and punctured before being interpreted. by lifting-sometimes into parallel ridges. Secondary shaping and chiseling with water, ice and weather over the millennia created valleys and valleys, at a time when plants and most animal species still existed.
When Earth's forces dwindled, they left the highest peak, 6684 feet, in what is now North Carolina in the shape of Mitchell Hill.
2. White Mountains:
New Hampshire is hardly neglected when it comes to above-average superlatives. In fact, the Appalachian's own section of the White Mountains flooded the sky with 48 peaks thought to be "four thousand feet," at least 5,000 feet high, and the crown of his kingdom, Mount Washington, 6,288 feet, the highest peak in the entire Northeast.
Glaciation formed deep mountain passes that the early settlers called "commas," because they resembled the shapes they made in wood with axes, while circuses produced plains heads, such as Mount Washington's Tuckerman and Mount Adam; s The plains kings.
The man also had a hand – and sometimes hurtful one – in shaping Appalachi in New Hampshire. Committed to their timber because of the logging concern that bought most of the land and then cut it to pieces with sawmills from 1,832 areas before being pulled down by the railways, they were bare until the Weeks Act was signed and allowed in 1914 to buy the original 7,000 acres.
Subsequent purchases, coupled with a ban on logging in certain wilderness areas, ensured the establishment of the 800,000-acre White Mountain National Forest, which today bears the slogan, "Land of Many Benefits."
Prominent in the state is its presidential territory, whose peaks, as their name implies, are named after presidents and other prominent Americans.
Its abundant wildlife ranges from deer to mouse, black bears, berries, gray foxes, coyotes, beavers, chamois, raccoons and 184 bird species, including falconer peregrines.
Although its protected status restricts its use, this restriction does not apply to its enjoyment, whose options are plentiful and vary depending on the season.
Heavy snowfall moves the landscape into pristine postcards and sports paradise during the winter, luring visitors, tourists, athletes and enthusiasts, while the mountains provide their sides and go to world-class locations that facilitate a range of activities including alpine and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, setting up snow tubes, snow shoes, ice skating, snowmobiling, sleigh rides, ice fishing, dog sledding, and even climbing a frozen waterfall.
Overlaid with color, the region in the fall becomes a continuous canvas of impressionism paintings, becoming a magnet for photographers, transparencies and naturalists. Color peak depends on the weather, altitude and type of tree. Red maples, for example, peak at low altitudes in mid-September, while beech, sugar maples and birch trees reach that level a month later below 2,000 feet. This peak occurs earlier, in early October, between 2,000 and 3,500 feet, with yellow birch, maple and mountain ash glittering with a color intensity of mid-September between 3,500 and 5,500 feet.
However, the peaks of the area reach their highest heights during the summer tourist season when its two sights provide natural scenery, links to the railroad past, family-oriented theme parks and outdoor activities.
The white mountains of New Hampshire, located in the northern part of the state, are easily accessible, with route 16, interstate 93 and route 3 allowing north-south travel, and routes 2, 302 and 112 cut the area in an east-westerly direction.
4. White Mountains:
A. On Route 2:
The village of Santa Santa, located in Jefferson, New Hampshire, and is open from May to December, is a Christmas-themed park and allows children to visit a bearded man in red in July, feed his reptiles and enjoy 19 different rides and activities. including vintage cars, flying aircraft, flying sleighs, Jingle Bells Express train, roller skates and water park. 3-D live shows are presented at the Polar Theater, and Burgermeister Food Court offers a variety of lunch items, including the ability to decorate gingerbread cookies.
One-day, two-day and season passes allow unlimited use of rides, shows and attractions in the park.
Six Gun City and Fort Splash is another family-owned theme park in Jefferson, accessed by Route 2 but with a Western focus. Open between May and September, it allows visitors to "ride, skate and play all day" at attractions including strollers, laser tiles, water slides, boats, sawmills, mechanical training tracks, boats and sailboats. Train on the run from Gold Rush .
Kids can earn a sheriff's deputy badge or go over to the other side of the law and put their pictures on the decorative posters they want.
The Museum of Transportation exhibits more than a hundred antique carts and sleighs, including the oldest Concord bus.
Kids can drop off couples (made of soda) at Six Gun lounge or dine at Grub House Grabby, and buy cowboy-related clothing and gifts at the Trade Post Office and General Store.
Camp Fort Jefferson, with its own pool, offers 100 seats, from tents to full hookups.
B. On Route 302:
Challenging humanity to overcome its imposing 6,288-foot peak and counting Darby Field as the first to successfully do so when it climbed to the top in 1652 with the help of two Indian guides, Mount Washington never ceased to entice people to duplicate its success. However, today's tourist can get much easier, faster and more comfortable with the Mount Cog Railway.
When Sylvester Marsh, a New Hampshire native and businessman in Chicago, followed in the footsteps of Fields two hundred years later and captured him on a mountain with a life-threatening snowstorm, he promised to devise a method that would eliminate the inherent dangers and make it accessible to all.
Securing a charter for a mountain-climbing railroad, whose concept was initially laughed at by New Hampshire legislation and accompanied by famous words that it "could build a railroad to the moon," invented technology that included a small, directional gear under the locomotive that merged with shortcuts placed between the tiny track and allowed the engine to pull uphill, as much as 37.41 percent.
Successfully achieving his lofty goal and exaltation in 1869, he has flowed ever since. A National Historic Landmark, it is the second steepest rail system in the world and the oldest still operating system.
Accessing the six-mile basic road past Fabian Station off Route 302, the Mount Washington Cog Railroad offers three-hour round trips from Marshfield's own station to the top, steam and bio-diesel locomotives between May and October and one half-hour journey in November and December. All trains consist of a pushing engine and one passenger wagon.
Except you have a ticket office; self-service restaurant, Catalano on Guardians; and a souvenir shop, the station itself offers a glimpse of early rail gear technology through the Gear Museum and outdoor exhibitions, which include the first locomotive to climb the mountain.
Views from the summit peaks that are lit up by winds span the northern peaks of the Presidential Range, and riders can visit the Sherman Adams Summit Peak Building; Mount Washington Observatory; Tip-Top House, National Historic Landmark; and the Summit Stage Office, where the highest wind speed in the world was recorded – 231 mph.
A short distance from Mount Washington Cog Railroad on Route 302 at Bretton Woods is another eponymous attraction, the Mount Washington Resort.
Rising from the green forest, and always in the shadow of the mountain itself, this white facade mega-mansion with a red roof, one of the original large hotels, built between 1900 and 1902 by Joseph Stickney, a New Hampshire native who made his fortune collected in the coal mining industry and the Pennsylvania Railroad, in the Spanish Renaissance Revival style.
Built by 250 Italian craftsmen who have applied fine details on timber and masonry, it features a rare steel frame and innovative heating systems, power plants, plumbing and private telephone systems, along with the still-existing post office, transforming the forest into the luxury of the largest hotel.
They numbered 350 and opened their doors on July 28, 1902, welcoming wealthy guests from the northeast, celebrities and dignitaries, including Thomas Edisson, Baba Ruth, Joan Crawford, Princess Margaret, and three U.S. presidents, all of whom had access to the area up to 50 daily trains serving three local stations.
In 1944, he hosted the Bretton Woods International Monetary Conference, during which delegates from 44 countries established the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund, setting the gold standard at $ 35.00 and setting the US dollar as the backbone of international exchange.
In 1978, the hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places, and nine years later the Ministry of the Interior named it a National Historic Landmark.
Its centuries-old elegance is echoed by a 900-foot porch and a "Great Hall" lobby featuring high ceilings and rocky fireplaces.
Other echoes echo the sound of afternoon teas in the princess room, five-star dining in the dining room, lighter rides at Stickney Restaurant, cocktails at Rosebrook Bar, Verandah or cave-shaped cliffhanger, operator-alert elevators and carriages drawn by the terrain of White Peaks Of Mountain and Crawford Notch.
The 25,000-square-foot spa, with 13 treatment rooms and two golf courses round out the facilities, the last of which includes a nine-hole course, Mount Pleasant Mountain opened in 1895, and an 18-hole Mount Washington Course restored to its design Donald Ross of 1915.
Equally owned by the Bretton Arms Inn is a bed and breakfast.
Across from 302 from Fabian Station Restaurant is the Bretton Woods Ski Resort on Rosebrook Hill. It contains 433 acres of skiing and snowboarding, 101 alpine trails, 100 kilometers of Nordic trails, four terrain parks, night skiing and a canopy tour with ten ziplines, two sky bridges and three rappel stations.
In addition to skiing, winter activities include dog sledding, sleigh rides, snow tubing, ice skating, snow shoes and ice climbing, while summer sports include hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, tennis, and trail and carriage rides.
Dining options include Lucy Crawford's Food Court and Slopeside Restaurant in the Main Cottage, and Top Top Quad Restaurant at the top.
Further east of Route 302 is Crawford Notch State Park.
Discovered in 1771 when Timothy Nash, a Lancaster hunter, discovered the gap while tracking moose across Cherry Mountain, Governor John Wentworth promised him lands when he could also ride a horse and build a road through it, which he eventually achieved despite significant topographic obstacles.
The area itself is named after the Crawford family, its first settlers. They established inns for travelers and forged the first trail to Mount Washington, led climbing expeditions.
Overlaying excessive deforestation, New Hampshire acquired much of the local land in 1913, declaring it a state park. Its 5775-acre area includes mountain peaks bordering the Saco River Valley.
In addition to picnic areas, fishing and hiking, it offers two short, easy hiking trails: a five-mile pond trail leads to views of the pond itself, while Sam Willey's one-way circular trail follows the Saco River. Extensions and detached paths lead to Rippley and Arethus falls.
Still further east, but still on Route 302, is the Attitash Mountain Resort, whose summit rises to 2,350 meters. In addition to the standard range of winter sports, it opened its doors to summer activities in 1976 with a slide approaching more than a mile, imported from a seat imported from Germany, consisting of rolling wheels and S turns.
Progressively added attractions now include two-person rail cars driving at 2,280 feet of the New Easter Mountain Underwater with 360-degree loops; climbing wall; trampoline; Water slides; mountain biking; riding a horse; and a 1,800-foot cable car ride.
Daily, afternoon and one-hour tickets for adults and children allow visitors to optimize their experience.
At the foot of the 2050-meter high bear peak is the Attitash Grand Summit Hotel and Crawford Restaurant, while the Attitash Mountain Village is located across from 302.
C. On Route 16:
While the railroad provides western mountain access to the top of the mountain, the Mount Washington Highway offers an eastbound, alternative eastbound ride.
Tracing its origins to the originally designated Mount Washington Highway, which was the first tourist attraction in the country when it opened on August 8, 1861, it allows motorists to access the high road, as advertised, by accessing Route 16 at Pinkham Notch.
The Great Glen Lodge, located at its base, offers a restaurant, and the neighboring Douglas A. Philbrook Museum of the Red Barn, the last horse and hay stop that was an integral part of the Carriage Road erection process, also contains a collection of refurbished wagons, wagons, freight cars, and cars that used to follow the top.
The basic fee for getting on the Highway includes a car, driver, touring audio or CD cassettes and the famous "This car climbed Mount Washington:" Bumper sticker, vehicles climbing from 1,543 to 6,288 feet, with an enroute elevation increase between 594 and 880 feet per mile as he crossed the 7.6-mile road. They have access to the same views from the top and historic buildings as their rail passenger counterparts.
A short distance from Highway 16 on Route 16 is Wildcat Mountain, which is itself a sister attraction of Attitash. Its 49 trails and passes made by New England's most powerful four-lifts include the 2.75-kilometer Polcat Trail, 2,112-foot Trail, the Lynx Intermediate Trail and the Wildcat Trail for Professionals.
Summer activities include Skycide Wildcat Mountain Express. Climbing steadily to the summit of 4,062 feet of Wildcat Mountain during their 15-minute journey, four-person gondolas initially move among, and eventually above, green tsunami waves spanning the White Mountains and the Tuckerman Plain, the head of a lion, Raymond Cataract. Mount Washington and Huntington Ravine in the middle of far but still visible spots with dust in the sugar and patches of snow that fit into the peaks, even in summer.
We seem to brush upright standing evergreens, reminiscent of arboreal forest guards as they approach the top, open doors and emit fragrant pine trees, as if the rider had been dumped in his local nursery for his annual Christmas tree to spread. The air is thin and clear, ten degrees colder than it is at the base.
"Stand on the Appalachian Trail," the sign immediately advised, "In 1968, Congress designated a national scenic trail." It stretches more than 2,140 miles from Springer Mountain in the state of Georgia to Katahdin, Maine, crosses 14 states, eight national forests, six national parks and numerous state lands.
A short walk to the second edge of the summit offers views of the eastern slope of White Mountain National Forest and the silhouettes of Kearsarge North, South Doublehead and Black Mountain just ahead. To the east, the River Valley is at the forefront, while a series of smaller, rounded mountains formed during the last glacial period are visible beyond this area, along the New Hampshire-Maine state line. Clear days allow you to see the Atlantic Ocean, 90 miles away.
The Appalachian Trail runs through the Presidential Chain, Mount Washington, and the Great Gulf wilderness west. The Mahoosuca Range and the cities of Berlin and Gorham lurk in the north, and Jackson, Bartlett and Conways are in the south.
The Wildcat Mountain four-legged Zip Rider, suspended from a cable 70 feet above the ground, descends 2,100 feet across trails, canopy and Peabody River, with a 12 percent rating and speeds of up to 45 mph, described the experience as "a fast cable ride with a sudden. abrupt landing ".
Hiking along the Wildcat Trail provides views across the entire waterfall to Thompson Falls, and fishing can be enjoyed on the Peabody River.
Packages include the following gondola rides, lunch at the Mountainside Café, disc golf and lodging at the Attitash Grand Summit.
South on Route 16 is the Appalachian Mountain Club. Founded in Boston by Edward Pickering and 33 other outdoor enthusiasts for the later defined purpose of "promoting (protecting) the protection, enjoyment and understanding of the Appalachian Mountains, forests, waters and trails," he forged his first hiking trail at Tuckerman Ravine in 1879. year, and currently maintains more than 1,500 miles, complete with huts and cottages, within a 12-chapter system that extends from Maine to Washington, the organization's organization, with 450 seasonal and full-time employees and 16,000 volunteers, has 100,000 members.
His New Hampshire chapter, at the foot of Mount Washington on the east side, has been a hub for hiking, climbing, skiing and snowshoeing since the 1920s, and today hosts Joe Dodge Lodge, cafeteria, gift shop and eight hiking trails and offers classes, workshops and outdoor skills instruction.
The Pnkham Notch Visitor Center is also located here.
Story Land, another family-owned theme park "where fairy tales come to life", is located south, a quarter of a mile from the intersection of routes 16 and 302 in Glen.
Kids are served buffet rides and activities, including antique cars, Cinderella, pumpkin carriage, park chewing trains, emergency chewing trains, Dr. Geyser, outstanding boat rides, polar submarines, bamboo billows, whale whirlpools, crab crawling , Oceans of Fun, Turtle Turtles, Spray Battle, and Cinderella Castle.
Its fun, as its colorful headlines show, is equally youth-oriented: Duke's dance party, party at the party, Tales of the Fables, Fiasco from the Fairy Tale, Royal Hanneford Circus and the Farm Follies Show.
Drinks, snacks and meals can be purchased at several locations, including the Food Fair, Pixie Kitchen and Sunny Day Farm.
The city of North Conway, located south on Route 16 (also known as the White Mountain Highway), is the most significant tourist base.
Founded in 1765 by Colonel Governor Benning Wentworth, it owes its rise to its geography, topography and traffic. It was named after Henry Seymour Conway, a twenty-five-year parliamentary elected official, and the root literally appeared in the form of germinating farms, as in many other New England villages, after the American Revolution.
Connected to the outside world in 1872 when the Portsmouth, Great Falls and Conway railroads set their routes, it hosted a growing number of tourists who were drawn to winter sports and the mountain landscape, the last of which was often captured in the White Pictures of Mountain Arts.
Thus, identifying itself with activities fueled by its topography, it became known as the "birthplace of skiing" in 1832, and the railway deposited up to 5,000 passengers into the city on weekends using "Snow Trains."
Today, despite its compact size, it offers a range and variety of services and amenities that are typically associated with the city tripling its size. Accommodations, for example, range from historic hostels (such as Stonehurst Castle and Inn, Inn 1785 and East Slope) to famous chains (such as Holiday Inn Express and Marriott Residence Inn). The restaurants run the gamut from fast food to Bavarian Chocolate House, authentic Italian food and dining at the historic inns themselves. The stores are equally diverse – from kitty bookstore stores to bookstores, Settlers & # 39; Green Outlet Village and North Conway Mall. Other city amenities include art galleries, a community center with live performances, the Weather Discovery Center, a museum of railroad specimens, and a historic train station.
It is from this station that visitors can retreat back to an area that has traveled in the rich railway past.
The North Conway Railway Station, once a busy link to the rest of the country and now an architectural past, was the city's core and center of citizens. lives, accessed locally by car and car. Built in 1874 for Portsmouth, Great Falls and Conway, and designed by Nathaniel J. Bradlee – a Boston architect of renowned glory – it was intended to serve the growing community of the settlement.
The imposing double-butted warehouse, the size of what looks like a typical station, has a 136-year-old, a loft set in brass and iron by E. Howard's watch, which seems ignorant of the track suspension and continues to move its hands 360 degrees, 365 days a year.
Its interior, flanked on either side by wooden, staircases that can be accessed by the tower, reflects its golden age with original tickets and a telegraph office complete with antique instruments, a waiting room / museum of travelers (formerly a waiting room for women)), a gun shop brass (former waiting room for men) and storage area (then luggage room). It is a testimony to the city's railway past and is one of several remaining original and complete warehouses.
An 85-foot-long, compressed-air turntable that allows the locomotive to rotate to align tracks or reciprocate 180 degrees, accesses a four-round roundhouse whose under-the-track pits facilitate maintenance, repair and service. Her out-of-town workers often sit in a luggage without a wheel.
In addition to a warehouse and a round house with a turntable, the Cargo House, built in the 1870s as a place of processing cargo documents viewed by drastics, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Model North Conway Railway Club is currently located.
The Conway Scenic Railroad fleet consists of 13 steam and diesel electric locomotives, more than 40 cars and wagons, seven privately owned cabins and three privately owned snow flanges.
It offers several daily tourist trains during the summer season. "Trains in the Valley", for example, run a one-hour round trip to Conway, 11 miles away, or a one-hour return to Bartlett, 45 minutes, 21 miles, while "Notch trains" penetrate Crawford Notch and make a 50-kilometer trip from five and a half hours to Crawford Depot and Fabyan Station. These services use either steam or diesel electric motor power, and passengers can book accommodation in a coach, first class or premium / dome with three-course meals.
Just as it favors a city that serves winter sports enthusiasts, it has a Mount Cranmore ski resort, right in the front yard, just a mile from the Route 16 artery that frequents it.
Long connected to the unique system of elevation from the mountain, it had a fleet of 192 metals, a rubber wheel and a wire skimobile that climbed Mount Cranmore on a two-section wooden beam. Designed by George Morton, of Bartlett, New Hampshire, it carried both sky and viewers alike, and was the oldest cable car operating system in North America when it ceased operations in 1989 after 51 years of continuous service.
Today, Mount Cranmore has ten cable cars; 13 initial, 25 intermediate and 16 professional examinations; and vertical drops of 1,200 feet. Non-ski attractions include the Inner Adventure Zone at its Base Lodge; giant swing; 3.7 meter mountain submarine; terrain parks; rope course; a four-cell trampoline bungee; tours of Segway Mountain; a two-person descent zipline 700 feet long; and a scenic seat ride.